Learn software engineering management using the same practices as Amazon Web Services (AWS), with comparisons to the practices at Google and Microsoft! Gain insights to impress on your first (or next) engineering manager (EM or SDM) role.
Lead instructor Nancy Wang, Director of Engineering and Product and General Manager of Data Protection Services at Amazon Web Services, shares the key business, technical, design, and leadership skills necessary for success at engineering manager roles at the world’s top technology companies. These skills will serve you throughout your career.
Learn the most desired engineering management skills from other engineering leaders , including:
Joy Idahosa, Senior Software Engineering Manager of AWS Backup Audit Manager
Caitlyn Shim, General Manager and Director of AWS Accounts, AWS Organizations, and AWS Service Quotas
Cherie Wong, Vice President of Payments Engineering at Paypal
Ann Funai, Founding Limited Partner at Operator Collective, former SVP of Under Armour and CTO of MyFitnessPal
Ready to interview? We dedicated the content of this Specialization to teaching how to impress during your next interview and role. Learn how to systematically anticipate and answer the 10 most common interview questions for engineering managers, listed below.
Applied Learning Project
Bring your past experiences as we prepare you to answer the 10 most common engineering manager interview questions:
1. Who was your best hire and why?
2. How did you help her perform and grow?
3. Who was your worst hire and why?
4. How do you handle poor performers?
5. Tell me about a time you managed a conflict.
6. Tell me about your biggest mistake and what you learned.
7. What are your management processes and mechanisms?
8. How do you ensure your deliverables are of the right quality?
9. What metrics would you track?
10. Design Youtube (or another global product).